Friday, June 24, 2011

a mother's love

Yesterday one of my friends from my mom's group at church lost her daughter. She was just 2 months older than Emmalyn. She had a seizure at the babysitters house and they life flighted her to children's hospital. There was too much brain swelling and she stayed unconscious on life support for a few hours before she died. Katie, her mom has not left my mind since I heard the news yesterday. Her daughter, Verra was not sick at all before the incident. Emmalyn played with her every Wednesday night and though she doesn't know what happened my heart is just so sad. She was just like any other little one, full of happiness and life. Just writing this and remembering her little face brings tears to my eyes. There are so many things in life that seem so hard to understand, loss of an innocent child has got to be the hardest one for me.
So, that being said, today I am overwhelmed with great sadness for my friend but also feeling wonderfully blessed and full of pure joy when I look at Emmalyn smiling at me. There are no words to describe a mother's love and perhaps Emmalyn like myself won't know how much I love her until she becomes a mother one day (God willing.) For however long God allows me to be a mother to my children I will be eternally grateful that in my life I got to experience the feeling of real, unconditional, pure love.

6 comments:

hayleyash said...

I am so sorry Heidi..I don't understand it either. I'll be praying for your friend. I can't even begin to imagine what they are going through.

Pa & T said...

Sometimes we don't understand something until much later - like why moms do the things they do. Praying for your friend is the best thing anyone can do.

J, H, A, M and O said...

So sorry and sad to hear this. That is just terrible. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend.

T,V, W,I and G said...

no words. so sad. her family and friends are in my prayers.

Erik, Erin, Malachi, Elliott and Jonas said...

Wow, tears just reading this. Praying for your friend and all those close to her.

bandw said...

I am so sad to read this. What a shock for their family and all of you who loved her. I am so sorry. Add our prayers for all.